Thursday, December 10, 2009

Congress explains homebuyer tax credit extension...

Dear Mrs. Yeager,

Thank you for contacting me with your support for retaining the first-time homebuyer tax credit. In order to make sound voting decisions, I need to hear from the constituents in the Fifth Congressional District. I appreciate you taking the time to contact mewith your thoughts on this issue, as I know how important it is to you.

As you know, the first-time homebuyer tax credit that was created by the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008, and extended in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 was set to expire on November 30,2009. The credit is based on 10% of the purchase price of the principal residence and may result in as much as an $8,000 credit. On November 6,2009, the President signed H.R. 3548, the Worker, Homeownership, and Business Assistance Act of 2009, into law. This bill passed the House on November 4, with my support, by a vote of 403-12, and extends the$8000 first-time homebuyer tax credit to April 30, 2010. Additionally,the provision includes a $6,500 credit to current homeowners who have owned their residence at least 5 years and wish to purchase another home. Finally, H.R. 3548 raises the income limits for eligibility from$75,000 to $125, 000 for a single purchaser and $125,000 to $225,000 for a couple. Should any additional legislation regarding the housing market come to the House Floor for a vote, please be assured that I will keep your thoughts and views in mind. It is my great honor to serve as your Member of Congress and it is my number one priority to represent you and the best interests of the Fifth Congressional District. Please do not hesitate to call, write, ore-mail me in the future with any of your concerns or questions. For federal-related issues, you may reach my Washington, D.C. office byphone at (202) 225-6405, or my District office at (800) 541-6446 for constituent services. I encourage you to visit my website at http://latta.house.gov/ where you can sign up for my e-newsletter and text message updates. The website also provides links to my YouTube,Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr pages, as well as my blog, the Latta Letter, all of which will help bring my work in Washington, D.C. home toyou.

Sincerely,
Bob LattaMember of Congress

No comments: